Friday, February 27, 2009

Signs of Spring

Since I am home right now, I’ve started my morning walks around the neighborhood. I’m enjoying the cool mornings and the time I have to be able to enjoy this simple pleasure.

Yesterday’s walk was started with a sunny, blue sky. Today the sky is gray and the wind is cool enough to give me an earache. I’m hoping that the forecast is true and that we get some badly needed rain for our gardens and lakes.

I keep looking for signs of spring and there are a few starting to peek out. The Bradford Pears are starting to bloom their white frothy flowers and in one yard there is that one daffodil shyly peeking out from its leaves. The Iris is starting to look perky, trees are starting to get plump buds and a few have even sprouted a few leaves. The Mexican Plum is pushing out its white flowers as well.

I haven’t seen a red bud in bloom yet though, and to me, that is my personal sign that spring has sprung. My own red bud tree is still quietly sleeping away.

In my own garden, my daffodils are pushing up from the ground and my pansies are still looking happy. Radishes are radishing away.

Winter is still here but slowly loosening its hold.

Still come the flakes of white,Like blossoms pure and light.–J. Hazard Hartzell (1830–90)

Bradford Pear bloom Pictures, Images and Photos

Unknown daffodil Pictures, Images and Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment