Sunday, March 28, 2010

A little bit of a flower show...

Despite or because of the snow, rain and wind the flowers in the garden are coming up! It's wonderful and I'm enjoying being outside again.


I've had these in the garden. I call them Audrey's Iris. Purple is not one of my favorite colors, but Audrey's Iris is almost a deep purple/black color and I love the throat of it. It is white with a purple streak down the center. I'll be thinning this out after it finishes blooming.

This little guy is my unknown. It came up last year too, and I still don't know what it is or where it came from. It is a tiny flower, maybe not more than 1 inch across. The stem is about 8 inches, if that. It's a cheery flower and it makes me smile.

Around the corner and up the street is a lot where a house burned down. Last spring I was driving past this lot and see all this flower growth coming on. I rushed home grabbed my shovel and bucket and went to save these flowers from a life of oblivion. I really didn't know what I was saving to tell you the truth because none of it was blooming, except for the grape hyacinths.  This snowdrop was a pleasant surprise this spring. I love it and it has such a wonderful scent.

Grape Hyacinths from the same lot.

This is a lavender colored Iris that I saved as well. It looks a little washed out here, but it is beautiful.

This came from the same lot, but on the other side of where I was digging and I got this just a few days ago. I don't know how I missed it last year. It's a miniature jonquil and it smells so sweet. I just love it. Huny doesn't like it because he says the flower is too small.

I have a couple of other things coming up from this rescue mission, but they are blooming yet. I'm excited to see what comes up!

These are my 50cent Hyacinths that I got from WM. They were just a little stubble in the pot and I brought them home and figured they wouldn't grow this year, but surprise! I love them. Hyacinths are one of my favorite Spring flowers. The flower in front is a 50cent daffodil that should be blooming today - hopefully!

This is an heirloom Cemetary White Iris that I got from Petal Pushers last year (Update: Petal Pushers has closed.) and this year it bloomed. I love the yellow beard.  All that greenery you see below the flower are my poppies.

The spineless cactus is from a fellow gardener and it came from TWU. The violet is a stow-away from somewhere. I think it came from Audrey's garden.

Pretty.

I don't know what this is going to be. Hmmmmm.

Audrey gave me these boots for Christmas one year. This spring I'm dressing them up with marigolds. Don't you just love that flower? I have them everywhere in the summer. The little corner behind the boots is my container garden that keeps growing. I have a pot of Marjoram because Huny likes that herb and I use it fresh in a lot of my cooking, there is a pot of alyssum to lure the butterflies and bees, the red flower is a dianthus that we got the first year here (3 years now) that I have divided, divided and divided. It's in every corner of the yard. The butterflies love this flower.

Right behind this is my new garden that I just got started. I going to fill it with herbs and more of the dianthus and we'll see what else. Yesterday Huny was being lumberjack and was splitting wood and one of the last two logs he had to do had a great hole in the center of it. I swiped it to set in this planter. I'm thinking of planting a silver thyme in it. Wouldn't that look pretty coming out over the sides of the log? I haven't started the pictures of that yet, but this is my project for today.

In the house, we have the tile down in the entryway and in the front closet. The baseboards are up and Huny got them painted. There is stuff EVERYWHERE in the house. The sun is shining and who wants to be STUCK inside the house????!!!! And anyway there's no place to put anything yet.

Yoohoo! A great reason to be outside!

Well, the wind has died down from the gale forces of yesterday to a pleasant breeze - thank goodness! It is going to be a great day in the garden! Have a wonderful Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment