Monday, March 9, 2009

Spring Salad and Johhny

This is Johnny (named after Johnny Depp). My friend gave him to me several years ago for my birthday. For a couple of years in the fall, he rode every day in the front seat of my car. When I moved to Maryland, he took a vacation and hung out in my Huny’s attic. After I returned to Texas he was moved to the front yard and became our door greeter. He was quite happy there for a couple of years, but then he got sad (his head was coming apart from his body) so we took him down and up to the attic he went for a rest.

This year we are working on our backyard farm and I thought to bring him down to guard our newly planted garden. I fixed his head to his body (he’s happy again) added some hair, attached him to a long pole and planted him in place of honor in the center of our planter. To give him a ‘spring’ in his step I added a sprig of bluebonnet to his hat.


This is the garden that he is guarding:
Radishes (French Breakfast -- Raphanus sativus)







Strawberries









These are the starts of turnip seeds that I got in a seed trade. I’ve never had a turnip. But I figured I’d plant them. What does one do with a turnip?








Onions, radishes, chives, elephant garlic.









Scallions, lettuce, more strawberries.







To celebrate Johnny's makeover, I harvested some of our lettuce (Red Sails and Black-Seeded Simpson, in the background) and we thinned out some of the radish.





After a thorough wash, we had a very nice salad for our supper.












It was delicious! I have never, ever had fresh lettuce from the garden, and never had radishes that didn’t come out of a bag. It was the best salad I have ever eaten!







Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment