Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter!

Well, yesterday will have to make up for today because today it is rainy. Yesterday was such a wonderfully, marvelous day!

The day started out at a cool 45 degrees, but the sun was shining in a beautiful blue sky! On the drive to the Coppell Farmers’ Market I had to cross the Lewisville Lake and it was a perfect day for fishing as well – there were quite a few anglers out dipping a hook!

The Coppell Farmers' Market is a small one but it was very pleasant. There was free hot coffee that was perfect for the cool morning! Offered at the market were fresh cut flowers, organic meats, seafood, natural pet foods, baked goods, potted herbs and plants, handmade soaps and candles, homemade pastas and all kinds of canned goods (jams, jalapenos, beets, garlic) and there was some honey. I recognized most of these vendors as being local and the prices were reasonable.

I came away with baked goods from Healthy Me Marketplace, some treats for my granddogs from Biscuit Head Baking Co., Pickled Beets and handmade pasta (Basil Garlic Linguine) from Lucido’s Produce and Herbs (214-352-2978). Lucido's can be found at the Frisco and Lewsiville Farmers' Markets as well.

The Coppell Farmers’ Market was small, but it was worth the drive from my home (about 25 minutes). I highly recommend this as a place to do some Saturday morning shopping!

After that lovely start to the day, I came back to Denton to meet a guy from Craigslist that was giving me some canna bulbs. His truck was full and I ended up with three bags! I will keep a few but most of them are going to my DIL in Venus for her home.

Then it was time to head over to the Denton Redbud Festival. This is a free event and is fun for everyone! There are things for the kids and lots, and lots of neat stuff for us big kids. And there is food! The nachos are great. The event takes place at the Denton Civic Center and the grounds are beautifully landscaped for a walk after the nachos and all the shopping.

Keep Denton Beautiful gives out free, bareroot Redbud trees so I got a couple of those, and from Lucido’s I bought some Thai Basil, Italian Sweet Basil, Flat-Leaf Parsley, Epazote, German Thyme, and Valentino Basil. From the Native Plant Society of Texas I got an American Beauty-Berry. This is an under story tree that puts outs purple berries in the fall and the birds love it.

As soon as I got home I planted it all because we were expecting rain and sure enough we have it! Thank goodness. We have been really dry around here so this is nice even though it is on Easter Sunday. Hopefully it will clear up a little for the kids to get a chance to hunt for those elusive Easter eggs.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment