Friday, April 24, 2009

Radishes

Radishes.

Up until a year ago or so I never really thought about them. At all. It's a vegetable, you see. I didn't eat them in salads. I certainly didn't eat them whole.

But then the Vege Garden Fairy (my Huny) visited me. (He might not like me calling him a Garden Fairy, but he is.) And my life changed.

Now radishes are everywhere in my garden.

I eat them in my salads now. I've tried them whole with salt- Huny's direct route to Nirvana - but this is not my thing.

There is a curious thing that happens when you start to garden with vegetables. You have to eat them.

And I love it! I love going out and picking my lettuce and green onions for the salad every night. I love to pick some chives for the breakfast eggs. I can hardly wait to harvest the onions. The cherry tomatoes are coming on, the serrano peppers are going strong, the pumpkins are leafing out so beautifully! Cucumbers are starting to reach for the sky. Beans are being shy still, but I'm patient with them. Tomatoes are flowering and jalapenos and bell's are starting to wake as well.

This Spring has been a wonderful revelation to me. It's like a butterfly opening her wings and learning to fly.

4 comments:

  1. The way you put is so sweet, about rediscovering veggie!!... cheers, happy gardening! ~ bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Radishes? Why not? They grow fast, taste good, and look good on a plate. I like your writing style--you kept me reading. That is cool.
    I agree that well run community gardens are a real asset to any locality, but I love owning my plot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still getting used to radishes myself. If you get any good recipes, be sure to post them. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Radishes are great for your health; anti-carcinogenic. Try them in chicken salad, using dijon mustard instead of mayo and adding some Hot Madras Curry Powder. Yum! I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete