Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Onion Harvest

My garden is a work in progress and is an every day learning experience for me. I've been keeping an eye on my onions and figured that surely they should be ready to come out soon. The tops had toppled over and some of the onions were up on the ground. This is my very first onion crop so I had no clue on when they should be ready. Well, I found out that once the tops do topple over (and mine were all on the ground) that is the time to harvest. Look at what I got! My very first onion harvest ever!




The basket is full of onions! Some are the size of a softball!















Being new to the harvest part of gardening, I rigged up this drying screen with Huny's compost screen. I ended up with 28 onions.
Did I mention that I don't like onions? I like onion flavor, but I do not like to bite into an onion. I'm trying to learn to like them, but it is something I need to keep working on.
I cook with onions all the time, but always leave them in large enough pieces so that I can see them in my food.
Here's a recipe that you might like if you're into onions:
1 small to medium onion, sliced
1 cucumber, sliced
1/4 c (or to taste) of Italian Dressing
salt and pepper to taste
herb of choice (I used Marjoram.)
Mix all together and let set in the refrigerator for an hour. Serve as a side salad with your evening meal or with some crackers for a light lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment