Sunday, June 14, 2009

Harvest Suppers

Some of you know that I am not a cook. I would much rather be outside digging in the dirt. But, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. And fixing supper for Huny is one of those things even though I did make a full disclosure before we got married that I DID NOT COOK. I'm still trying to figure out how I got the bum end of this deal.

So, now that I have this garden and have all these vegetables growing, I'm trying to figure out what to do with it all. Salad's are wonderful and yummy, but I've got to do something different with some of it. I pulled out my ton's of recipe books (funny thing to have for a girl that doesn't cook) and tried to make sense of it all. I ended up making a partial Chicken Cacciatore. Partial because at the time I didn't have any tomatoes ready to come off the vine.

Partial Chicken Cacciatore (cooked in a crock-pot)

1 medium onion, sliced
4 stalks of celery, sliced
5 leg and thigh chicken pieces
2 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup white wine

Place sliced onions and celery in bottom of crock-pot. Add chicken pieces, minced garlic, salt, pepper, herbs and white wine. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours.

I served this with fried chunky potatoes cooked with rosemary and some sliced sweet banana peppers.

The last couple of nights Huny has wanted omelets.

Huny's Omelet

2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
dash of milk
chives, cut
1 sweet banana pepper, seeded and sliced
1/4 cup bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1/4 cup onion, sliced
grated cheese (I used Marble Jack)

Saute, peppers and onion. Remove from pan. Mix eggs, salt, pepper and milk and add chives to taste. Pour into hot pan and cook until it's almost cooked all the way through. Place peppers and part of the cheese on one half of eggs and fold over the other part of the eggs. Allow to cook and then flip to cook other side. Place the rest of the cheese and more chives on top. Cover and let cheese melt. Serve.

Yesterday I added some of the chicken from the Partial Chicken Cacciatore.

Except for the eggs, chicken, celery, garlic, salt and pepper, wine and cheese, everything came from the garden. So satisfying.

My harvest from last night:


Sadness! My zucchini growing so beautifully and looking so healthy died! I don't know what happened to it, so I gave it a proper burial in the trash bin. May it compost in peace.

3 comments:

  1. Bummer about your zucchini because I was going to suggest that in the summer I add it into my chicken cacciatore just to eat more veggies! I had a recipe on my blog this morning about eggs & chives, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never remember that I have chives. I remember the green onion, lettuce, and other herbs just fine. That one just slips through the cracks.
    Remember to visit Blotanical. There seems to be quite a few visits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing like fresh vegetables in summer dishes. I only grow the heirloom cherry tomatoes and I use them in many recipes. Blog on!

    ReplyDelete