Monday, September 21, 2009

Two cups of uncooked rice DOES NOT equal 2 cups of cooked rice.

Guess how I figured this out?

Huny wanted stuffed bell peppers. Well, I've never cooked this before, so I looked up a recipie and it said it needed 2 cups of cooked rice. Sure. No problem. So, I took two cups of uncooked rice and cooked it. I figured that if you take 2 cups of uncooked you will get 2 cups of cooked. No, not really.

I ended up with mountains of cooked rice. Good grief.

I took the cups of cooked rice I needed and wondered, what am I going to do with the rest? I ended up making some Atole de Arroz (Spanish Rice Pudding or Rice with Milk). Yum. Haven't had that in a while. How to make this? I put the rice back into the pot with just enough water to cover. Added cinnamon and sugar to taste and then added milk. I just let this simmer to let the flavors blend. and Voila! It is done. This was my evening snack before bed. But, since I had all this rice and Huny doesn't like it, I'll be eating a lot of Atole to Arroz.

By the way - the stuffed bell peppers? Huny liked them and they are on the menu. He gave me a two-thumbs up. I have to admit that I wasn't all that crazy about them. They were okay, just not my thing. I figure they'll be on the menu with the first Spring bell pepper harvest and then the fall harvest. That's enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment